Friday, August 17, 2007

emLog Namibia #11 Next Stop: Home - 08.02.07

I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I head back to the United States in five hours. I know I did stuff while I was here, but where did the time go?

Last night we had our American braai. Not just some hamburgers and hot dogs, I am talking BBQ ribs and garlic potato wedges. Nothing but the finest! It was so much fun just to have all the students that we had been working with so closely, to just cut loose and have fun.

It was hard to say 'goodbye' to some of the students that we've been working with. The rest of them we will have to do the same later today. Ugh, it's never fun to say 'goodbye', that's why it will just be easier to just give a little, 'see ya later'.

The sleep deprivation is slowly catching up to us. But I did offset that with a long, looooong nap yesterday. At lunch-- which by the way was livers and onions. I cut the liver, I even put a little cooked onion on there for flavor and got it in my mouth. It got chewed half way and then I had to abort that plan. I don't know if it is liver in general or that it was African liver, but ugh, I had just shovel down mashed potatoes to get the taste out of my mouth! Not a fan of liver and onions, give me kudu any day.

Well, Chad and I were pretty dead, so we crashed in the spare room (spare 'oom) for the afternoon. I think all of us, with the exception of Jon, have been running entirely on fumes. All of us I think are ready to get home. I am looking forward to eating ketchup and not tomato sauce. I am also looking forward to saying 'napkin' without getting looked at funny by people. Seriously, I don't know how many embarrassing moments I've had because of that.

The plan for today is do whatever we want, just be back by 4pm. We will be saying our last goodbyes and then head to the airport. After that, it's back tracking to Gatwick in London then to JFK in NYC. We will be dropping off Susan there and then we all head to Salt Lake City.

I think we've all become a lot closer this trip. This was life changing to say the least. I definitely think we will all remain friends when we get back to the states (some more than others *ahem* not saying any more about that).

Well, this is me, signing off until I get stateside. I will do one last email for those who wondered whether I made it back or not. There is an off chance that I will change my ticket to some other spot in the world. I make no guarantees about me making it back to Salt Lake this weekend.

One's thing for sure, I've got this itch to go see the world. Perhaps, Espana...

Walalapa!

Em

No comments: