Friday, August 17, 2007

emLog Namibia #10 Final Days - 08.01.07

I can't believe I will be leaving for the U.S. tomorrow. This has been one of the fastest months of my life! What's strange about it, is I feel like I've been gone longer, just because we've been doing so much every day and we've accomplished so much while here.

Monday we had the press conference. We had a member of Parliament attend and he gave the keynote speech. It was quite cool to be involved with that. We did make it into one of the newspapers here, unfortunately they called our school "Utah Village State College" instead of Utah Valley University... only in Namibia!

Yesterday (Tuesday), my group went to meet with Werner the director of the Namibian archives to go over our cataloging system. We had no training wheels this time i.e. Mike. We found that our job isn't over just yet. We still need to refine the archivist process a little bit. This is great, because it means our group will continue working on it through this coming semester. We will be talking with Werner too. I'm hassling Mike to get a field trip to the Smithsonian and the Library of Congress!

The other night we also had dinner with Dr Tjevekua and his right hand lady, Dr Neavera. It was fun to see the President of the college in such an informal setting. Dr Neavera cooked springbok for dinner-- yum, oh so game-y!

Last night, Chad, Rodayne, Susan, Mike and me went to Joe's Beer House. It's this game restaurant and yes, bar too. I ate zebra, crocodile, ostrich, kudu and unfortunately chicken. My favorite would have to be the kudu. The croc tasted fishy and the zebra just tasted too gamey. Good times last night! We had a blast just going and kicking back at the ole beer house.

I swung by the Finn's apartment and Teppo named me to help him with his outline for his article. In fact, I had helped Terhi earlier with hers too. I've become a news editor while here.

Today we are going back to the kindergarten in Katatura. We will be doing service work and bringing them some of the supplies that we brought over from the states. I'm going to see if we can't get a soccer game going or something too.

It really is strange that this is our last full day. We kicked off our stay with a Namibian braai (bbq), it's only fitting that we leave with one last braai with the students tonight too. The party starts at 1pm and it will go on until... who knows when! It will be a good night that's for sure.

Good times indeed,

Em

No comments: