Saturday, July 11, 2009

emLogs #04 - Hotter Than Hades

Our overnight train from Xian was something special. After hoping on Natalie's dubbed "C-Train" we got to the station and made a mad dash to our cabin. We slept on the hard beds which meant that they were less expensive and that would make a lot of sense for what it looked like...The cabins are very narrow and there are six beds. Top, middle, bottom and Leavitt and I took the middle bunks. There isn't much softness to the mattresses (I have yet to witness that here in China).

We were dog tired from the whole Shanghai running around tour. So we were absolutely beat.The bathrooms are um... well, lets just put it this way, hole in the ground with a broom off to the corner. The best way I can describe using one is like trying to do your business while riding a surf board. I decided to wait till we got to the hostel.Xian has been a great sight so far. The buildings are so old-- apparently there it used to be China's capital, very cool!

It's hot and humid here as well. When we got off the train I have never felt so gross and sweaty in my life. It got to the point where it didn't matter how sticky and hot I was, everyone was in the same boat as me!

We decided to skip Terracotta Warriors today since our train came in so late. We opted to go to the Muslim Quarter to see some cool mosque. After several hours of wandering the streets of Xian-- no luck finding it. Xian is a beautiful city with old architecture and hidden streets. Mix that with poor maps and you aren't going to find anything! We did the lunch thing and had dumplings, which were great. It was mostly an excuse to escape the heat. I would liken Xian to the hottest day of the year in New York City. High humidity coupled with hot vehicle exaust.

One thing I was excited about was the rickshaws. Those little bikes that can carry two passengers (or really, just one American). Leavitt and Nat decided to give the Muslim mosque a second try, but seeing as my feet completely quit on me, I opted to head back to the hostel. I ended up hoping in one of those rickshaws-- instead of a bike it was a scooter. The guy kept trying to get me to pay 20 yuan, I told him no way and it should be 10 yuan. I gave up and was a push over. At that point, I didn't care.

This heat is like nothing else, it's completely inescapable. Hopefully we will have better luck tomorrow, however they are still saying it will be a very hot day. And people wonder why I lose weight on my trips!

Tomorrow is Mt Huashan hike, I can only imagine what is in store for us tomorrow!

Em the Mayor of Sweatville

No comments: