Friday, July 3, 2009

emLogs #02 - Fun and Games Till Someone Gets Puked On

Leavitt and I got all screwed up with our internal clocks. Even though it was a one our difference then normal we woke up to catch our bus before 7am (we didn't even have to wake up till 8am).

We get to the airport and it turned out there is a 3 our delay for our plane, so we had to hang out at the airport for 6 hours. Fortunately we've got the ukulele and some sleep to keep us occupied! Nat will be picking us up in Shanghai and the poor girl keeps getting mixed signals-- We may have told her to meet us at 5pm, then we realized it was 3pm and now our flight is delayed until 6pm. If I were her, I would let us figure out how to get to the hotel for being travel tarded! Our flight was um... interesting.

Once we got underway it was flying as usual. I didn't think 12 hours would be that bad-- boy was I wrong. I was so bored and what made it worse is the b-movies they showed on the flight. I was sitting across the aisle next to this kid. Out of no where the kid totally ralphed into the aisle. Yep, I got the tail end of that! Fortunately it hit my blanket that I wrapped around my legs (won't be taking that as a souvenier). Yeah, he made a nice little obstacle in the middle of the aisle with a smooth sour scent to it.

It wasn't until later in the flight when I learned two very valuable things while flying:

1. Make sure and seal your barf bag when full
2. Don't put your barf bag in the seat pocket in front of you-- your liable to kick it while sleeping (oh yes he did, all over himself)

It really wasn't the worst flight imaginable. It was more like a very, very long flight. Leavitt was completely oblivious to all these events, she was completely engrossed in her Genghis Khan novel. I found Ralphy McVomit more interesting than our inflight entertainment.

Once we landed they had us stay in our seats and they came by with these laser things and checked our temperatures. People in full on quarantine suits came through our cabin and checked us-- don't worry, I totally got pictures!

Nat was waiting for us dutifully at the airport with a sign saying: Welcome to China Shrek and Donkey! It was very cute. We're in our hostel here in Shanghai and it's surprisingly decent. It's really unbelievable that we're here-- that we're half way around the world!

Well I better get to sleep, I think we've been officially up for 24 hours and oddly enough I haven't hit that wall yet. Tomorrow were going to run around Shanghai and then catch our night train to Xian!

Talk to you all soon!

Emily aka the vomit victim

No comments: